Skip directly to content

Jazzar Mosque

Addthis

Share via Social Media
year: 
N/A
BTD page #: 
147
BTD photo #: 
179
caption: 
The inner courtyard of the Jazzar Mosque at Acre, built in 1781 by Ahmad al-Jazzar, who in 1799 checked the advance of Napoleon through Palestine with the help of a British naval squadron commanded by Sir Sydney Smith. Revered relics of the prophet Muhammad (hairs from his beard) are housed in this mosque.