Skip directly to content

Third Palestinian National Congress

Addthis

Share via Social Media
year: 
1920
BTD page #: 
95
BTD photo #: 
82
caption: 
The Third Palestinian National Congress, Haifa, 14 December 1920. Delegates to the congress represented the main cities and districts of Palestine. Seven congresses were held between 1919 and 1928 (photographs of the First and Seventh Congresses are unavailable, and the British prevented the convening of the Second Congress, scheduled for May 1920; see 68). At the Third Congress it was decided to form an Executive Committee to conduct business between congresses. Musa Kazim Pasha al-Husseini (see 78) was chosen chairman of the committee and president of the congresses, posts he held until his death. These congresses, forerunners of the Palestinian National Congress (PNC) held under the aegis of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) since 1964, reflect early Palestinian attempts at political organization. They passed resolutions expressing fear of Zionist objectives and affirming Palestinian demands for proportional representation and national independence. From right to left, the banner in Arabic reads: "Palestine is the cradle of Jesus"; "Preserve al-Aqsa Mosque"; "Palestine is Arab."
Third right, last row, is the future Palestinian leader Haj Amin al-Husseini (see 88, 100, 202, 290) a few months before he became mufti (interpreter of religious law) of Jerusalem in May 1921.