Skip directly to content

Zionist Strategic Colonization

Addthis

Share via Social Media

About three hundred Zionist rural colonies, collective and noncollective, were established between 1882 and 1948 in Palestine. Throughout this period, however, the vast majority of the Jewish population (75 percent in 1948) continued to live in the three main cities: Jerusalem, Haifa, and Tel Aviv. Collective colonies (kibbutzim and moshavim) were not introduced until the first decade of this century. Even by 1948 less than 7 percent of Palestine was Jewish-owned, chiefly by the central Zionist land-acquisition organization, the Jewish National Fund (Keren Kayemeth). The sites of many colonies were chosen with geopolitical or military considerations in mind. Some, as in these photographs taken ca. 1946, were straight military strongholds. The bulk of the rural male population, especially in the collective colonies, belonged to the official Zionist military organization, the Haganah (see 308394, 409ff.)